Saturday 27 February 2016

Today I met George

I have now attended the Sheffield Tea Dance at the Sheffield City Hall three times. Having quietly sat on my own and observed for the first two dances, jotting notes and drawing little images of shots that came to mind, I decided to approach a few people and start conversation. I spoke to Irene and Brian an elderly couple who took an interest in my note-taking (they approached me), they told me to go and try to chat with a man named George, pointing him out on the dance floor. After waiting about fifteen minutes (the guy never stopped dancing) he finally took a breather. I asked him a few questions about the dances and he told me about how he dances 4-5 times a week at various locations throughout Sheffield. 'twice here, once at Meadowhall, once at Sheffield Lane Top and when its on in Chapel Town, but that's old time dancing' he said his dance partner for the day, Margaret then leaned over stating he was '94 years old'. After our brief conversation he stood up asked Margaret if she wanted to dance and off they were again.

No comments:

Post a Comment